The American Academy of Ambulatory Care Nursing (AAACN) is the association of professional nurses and associates who:
- Identify ambulatory care practice as a specialty that is essential to the continuum of accessible, high quality, and cost-effective health care.
- Are committed to their professional development and the quality of patient care in an ambulatory care environment and seek to actively engage in a community of like-minded professionals.
- Foster understanding and appreciation for the vital role of professional registered nurses as leaders, coordinators of patient care, and care providers in an ambulatory care setting.
AAACN (formerly the American Academy of Ambulatory Nursing Administration) was founded in 1978 as a not for profit, educational forum.
In 1993, the organization's name was changed to the American Academy of Ambulatory Care Nursing (AAACN).
Membership was broadened to include nurses in direct practice, education, and research roles as well as those in management and administration.
Today, membership is open to nurses and other professionals interested in ambulatory care and telehealth nursing. Corporations and individual corporate representatives are also welcomed as members.
AAACN is the only specialty nursing association that focuses on excellence in ambulatory care.
AAACN's Goals Are:
- SERVE OUR MEMBERS - Enhance the professional growth and career advancement of our members.
- EXPAND OUR INFLUENCE - Expand the influence of AAACN and Ambulatory Care Nurses to achieve a greater positive impact on the quality of ambulatory care.
- STRENGTHEN OUR CORE - Ensure a healthy organization committed to serving our members and expanding our influence.
The Academy serves as a voice for ambulatory care nurses across the continuum of health care delivery and has membership in the Nursing Organizations Alliance (NOA).
The Alliance provides a forum for nursing organizations to dialogue, collaborate, and facilitate policy formulation on professional practice and national health.
AAACN provides education to ambulatory care professionals through our annual conference, webinars, and CNE articles in our ViewPoint newsletter and online library.
Our many education products include Ambulatory and Telehealth standards, Syllabi from our Ambulatory Certification and Telehealth Nursing Practice Core Course, the Core Curriculum for Ambulatory Care Nursing, and certification exam preparation tools.
We offer many networking opportunities, cutting edge articles on ambulatory care practice, awards and scholarships, Career Center, and discounts on our products and education events.
Our annual conference and webinars are a must! You'll hear the best speakers in ambulatory care.
- Learn More about Membership in AAACN
- Go to the AAACN Membership Application
- Learn More About Ambulatory Care Nursing
Ambulatory Care Practice Settings & Roles
Hospital-based outpatient clinics/centers, Medical group practices, Telehealth call centers, University hospitals, Community hospitals, Military and VA settings, Managed care/HMOs/PPOs, Colleges/educational institutions, Patient homes, and Free standing facilities.
Our members are RNs, LPNs, LVNs, students and affiliates. They are Managers and supervisors, Administrators and directors, Staff nurses, Care Coordinators, Educators, Consultants, Advanced practice nurses, and Researchers.