In the wake of the devastation in Haiti, AAACN joins the American Nurses Association (ANA) to convey our deepest sympathies to those who have suffered incalculable losses.
ANA has received a request from the International Medical Corps (www.imcworldwide.org) to assist in recruiting registered nurses who specialize in:
- Operating Room
- Care of post-operative surgical patients
The deployment mission is for a hospital that is understaffed on the border of Haiti and the Dominican Republic. At this point in time, the deployment date or the length of deployment is unknown at this time.
Nurses interested in potentially participating in this mission should consider the following:
- Conditions are likely to be VERY austere. Responders need to be physically fit and able to manage themselves in such an environment.
- Talk with your family and employer so that you have a plan for when you are deployed.
If you are interested in being considered for this mission, please send an email to Cheryl Peterson at Cheryl.firstname.lastname@example.org. Provide the following information in the email:
- Name and credentials
- Contact information
- Area and number of years in clinical practice
- State license information
- Past disaster response experience
ANA will serve as a clearinghouse of interested volunteers and will forward this information on to the International Medical Corps. We will also keep your name on file as other deployment opportunities become available.
For additional information on the situation in Haiti, visit NursingWorld at https://www.nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/HealthcareandPolicyIssues/DPR/Haiti.aspx.